Snyder’s Shipyard’s roots are deep in Nova Scotia heritage.
The shipyard was initially started under the name of Leary’s, with records dating back to 1871, a time when establishing owner Stephen Leary and sons
Melbourne and Maurice Leary were building large-scale ships with keels up to 74 ft. in length, using iron work. The shipyard was purchased by Reginald “Teddy” Snyder in 1944, who designed and built vessels as well as parts of the shipyard facilities. After working 53 years as a shipwright and 10 years spent as the owner of Snyder’s, Snyder retired from the business in 1987, passing ownership to his son Phillip.
Philip learned the craft from his father and today he shares the helm of the business with co-owner Wade Croft who, like Philip, learned the craft at Snyder’s Shipyard. Many of our shipwrights are also second and third generation in their trade – most of whom have been with us their entire career.
The first permanent boat-building shed was constructed in 1969 and measures 100 feet by 40 feet. Before the erection of this building vessels were constructed outside. In 1992, a second building was constructed to build its first 67-foot vessel indoors. The third building brings a total of 10,000 square-feet of working space to the shipyard.
We are proud to be part of the schooner ‘Bluenose’ history. In March of 1994 ‘Bluenose II’ was decommissioned, never to set sail again. Thankfully, the Bluenose II Preservation Trust Society was formed and major repair work was carried out by Snyder’s Shipyard between 1 January 1995 and Mid April 1995. Most recently, we participated in the rebuild of Bluenose II as a member of the Lunenburg Shipyard Alliance.
Snyder’s Shipyard is the exclusive authorized builder for new construction of the Bluenose Sloop, a 23′ daysailer based on ‘Bluenose’ lines, designed by ‘Bluenose’ designer W.J. Roué.
Our boat sheds are considered architectural history in themselves. While we have worked to update the interiors to meet today’s technology, we have been careful to maintain the traditional “Maritime” look on the exterior.