Snyder’s Shipyard is located in Dayspring, Nova Scotia – alongside the beautiful LaHave River – 12 miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean. The water depth at our dock is 20 feet.
We are located on Highway #3, the road between Bridgewater and Lunenburg. We are just 2.5 miles from Bridgewater, which has become the hub of the south shore, and nine miles from Lunenburg, a UNESCO world heritage town.
The LaHave River has been deemed one of the most beautiful rivers in Canada – for good cause. It is 97 km (60 mile) running from its source in Annapolis County to the Atlantic Ocean. Along its way, it bisects the town of Bridgewater, before flowing into the LaHave River estuary. The river and various spots in the area were named after Cap de la Hève, in France, by Pierre Dugua, Sieur de Monts in 1604. The name was later anglicized to LaHave.
Once the haven of pirates in the early 1800s, the estuary between Bridgewater and the Atlantic Ocean became a popular wooden shipbuilding area from the late 1800s to mid 1900s, with only Snyder’s Shipyard remaining of those that once dotted the banks of the river.
Dayspring is located at 44°22’17″N, 64°29’15″W.